Apple recently unveiled exciting updates to its iCloud+ online storage service, introducing two new storage tiers that provide Mac and iPhone users with unprecedented data storage capacity. With this expansion, users can now store up to 12 terabytes of data, a significant leap from the previous maximum of 2TB. In addition to the increased storage options, Apple has also rolled out a range of privacy-focused features, reaffirming the company’s commitment to safeguarding user data. Let’s dive into the details of these significant developments.
New Storage Tiers:
Apple offers its customers 5GB of free iCloud online storage, which is a convenient way to store a limited number of photos, documents, and other files accessible from anywhere with an internet connection. For those who require more storage, iCloud+ provides subscription plans with various tiers. Before the recent update, users had three options: 50GB for $0.99 per month, 200GB for $2.99 per month, and 2TB for $10.99 per month. However, as of September 18, 2023, Apple has introduced two additional tiers:
1. 6TB Plan: Priced at $29.99 per month, this plan caters to users with extensive photo and video libraries or those who engage in Family Sharing.
2. 12TB Plan: For $59.99 per month, this plan offers an impressive 12 terabytes of storage, making it ideal for users with massive data storage needs.These expanded storage options provide flexibility to users, ensuring they have ample space for their digital content.
Apple has always prioritized user privacy, and the new iCloud+ storage plans come with an array of privacy-centric features that enhance online security and data protection. These features include:
1. Private Relay: Private Relay adds an extra layer of privacy when browsing the web. It helps users keep their internet activity private by routing traffic through two separate servers, making it difficult for anyone to trace their online behavior.
2. Hide My Email: This feature allows users to create unique, random email addresses when signing up for online services, reducing the risk of spam and protecting the user’s primary email address.
3. Custom Email Domains: iCloud+ subscribers can personalize their email addresses, further enhancing their online identity.
4. HomeKit Secure Video Support: For users invested in smart home technology, HomeKit Secure Video support ensures that footage from home security cameras is stored securely in iCloud with end-to-end encryption.
Apple’s expansion of iCloud+ storage plans to include 6TB and 12TB options is a significant leap forward for users who require extensive storage for their digital content. The introduction of these storage tiers, coupled with Apple’s commitment to privacy, reinforces iCloud+ as a compelling option for users seeking both ample storage and robust data protection. With features like Private Relay and Hide My Email, Apple continues to prioritize user privacy and security, setting a high standard for online services in an era where data protection is paramount.
Categorised in: Apple iCloud
This post was written by Megabite